Think Creativity Is For Experts Only? Think Again!
Today’s guest on Switch and Shift TV is David Burkus, author of The Myths of Creativity, a must-read book that debunks the ten most common myths about how we create.
A professor of management and founder and “talent” of the popular LDRLB podcast, David’s whole career focuses on leadership, strategy, and innovation. Among the myths David blows up in his book (and in today’s show) are
- The Eureka Myth: Flash of insight? Hardly!
- The Lone Creator Myth: Is one mad scientist working alone in his garage the answer to the next big thing? Not even close.
- The Brainstorming Myth: Actually, brainstorming is highly ineffective, and besides, we don’t even use the term right most of the time, which just confounds us further.
- The Incentive Myth: You can’t bribe your employees to think more creatively. In this section we discuss Dan Pink’s awesome book, Drive, which David builds on in The Myths of Creativity.
- The Expert Myth: Often, you get exactly the opposite of what you pay for when you bring in the big guns to solve big problems for you.
- The Breed Myth (one of my favorites to tear down): No, “creatives” aren’t different from you and me. Everyone has the ability to innovate within them. David will tell us how.
These are just a few of the highlights of our rollicking interview. Will you love it? Well, from feedback I’ve already received from folks who jumped the gun and found my hidden channel on YouTube, I can tell you one thing: we’ll be having David back for a command performance sometime in the not too distant future. Yes, he’s that fascinating a guest!
Here’s our interview. Enjoy!
Read David’s very popular posts here on Switch and Shift.
Visit his LDRLB site.
Did you miss last week’s episode with Ian Greenleigh? Be sure to check it out HERE!
Did you like today’s post? If so you’ll love our frequent newsletter! Sign up HERE and receive The Switch and Shift Change Playbook, by Shawn Murphy, as our thanks to you!
Image credit- alphaspirit / 123RF Stock Photo